How HIP Consult collects information about its Users
When a User visits the Website, HIP Consult collects the person's IP address and standard web browser information, such as browser type, the pages accessed on the Website and referring website (if applicable), for statistical and analytical purposes. This information is collected on an aggregate and non-individual specific basis. This information may also be used in order for HIP Consult and/or third party service providers to improve the User experience, such as by displaying targeted on-line advertisements on the Website, and for fraud prevention purposes.
How HIP Consult collects information about its Contact Users, Account Users and Purchasers
If a User contacts HIP Consult through the web interface entitled "Contact", HIP Consult only collects the User's name and the User's email address.access
If a User registers as an Account User, HIP Consult only collects the User's name, the User's email address, and the User's chosen password.
If a User purchases Premium Content, HIP Consult may only collect, in addition to the information required to open an Account, the last four digits and the expiry month and year of the User's credit or debit card, the User's telephone number and the User's postal address from the User. In addition Stripe, who is processing Credit Card and Debit Card transactions on behalf of HIP Consult, may collect information from the User directly via cookies or other means.
When the User accesses the Website through his/her Account, HIP Consult, or companies hired by HIP Consult to track how the Website is used, may place small data files called "cookies" on the User's computer.
HIP Consult sends a "session cookie" to the Account User's computer's hard drive when the Account User logs in, giving the Account User a unique identifier. This type of cookie aids HIP Consult to recognize an Account User in order to allow the Account User access to Newsletters and Briefings, any purchased Premium Reports and additional materials. Once the Account User logs out or closes his/her browser, this cookie expires and no longer has any effect.
HIP Consult encodes its cookies so that only HIP Consult can interpret the information stored in them. An Account User is free to decline cookies if his/her browser permits, but doing so may interfere with use of the Website.
The Website may contain electronic images known as Web beacons (sometimes called single-pixel gifs) and are used along with cookies to compile aggregated statistics to analyze how the Website is used.
How HIP Consult protects and stores Information
Throughout this policy, the term "Information" is used to describe non-public information that can be associated with a specific person and can be used to identify that person. Information does not include information that has been anonymized so that it does not identify a specific user.
HIP Consult stores and processes Information on its servers in the United States and HIP Consult protects it by maintaining physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in compliance with applicable legislative and regulatory standards. HIP Consult uses computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption and authorizes access to Information only for those employees who require it to fulfill their job responsibilities.
HIP Consult uses up-to-date technologies and maintains rigorous security standards and procedures with a view to preventing unauthorised access to all Information. However messages and information passing over the Internet may not be secure and can be intercepted by third parties or incorrectly delivered. The confidentiality of such communications cannot, therefore, be guaranteed and a User should not divulge personal information over the Internet unless he/she is using a secure or encrypted communications technology.
How HIP Consult uses the Information collected
HIP Consult collects Information to provide the User with a secure, seamless and simple user experience and to comply with all legal regulations. All Information will be treated by HIP Consult with the utmost confidentiality. HIP Consult may, in particular, use Information to:
- enable the User to access and use Newsletters, Briefings and additional materials; enable a User to contact and interact with HIP Consult to ask specific questions;
- provide the User with HIP Consult Premium Content if purchased;
- resolve disputes and troubleshoot problems;
- monitor potentially prohibited or illegal activities, and enforce the Terms and Conditions of Use of the Website and the HIP Consult Premium Content - Terms and Conditions;
- customize, measure, and improve the content and layout of the Website, including the display of customized, targeted marketing and promotional offers on the Website;
- customize, measure, and improve the Newsletters, Briefings and HIP Consult Premium Content, including emails from HIP Consult on the releases of future Newsletters, Briefings and Premium Content where the User has consented to the receipt of such emails;
- send the User targeted marketing and promotional offers, including the display of customized, targeted marketing and promotional offers in emails from HIP Consult on the releases of future Newsletters, Briefings and Premium Content, where the User has consented to the use of Information for these purposes;
- send Account Users information in regards to matters that are relevant to them as Account Users (such as service update notices);
- compare information for accuracy and verify it with third parties.
How HIP Consult shares Information with other parties
HIP Consult may share Information with:
- Members of the HIP Consult corporate family to help detect and prevent potentially illegal acts, provide joint service offerings and for other business purposes. However, these corporate affiliates will not use this Information to market their services unless approved by the User.
- Financial institutions that HIP Consult partners with to jointly create and offer products and/or services. These financial institutions will not use this Information to market these products and/or services unless approved by the User.
- Service providers under contract who assist with parts of the HIP Consult business operations including marketing and technology services. Pursuant to HIP Consult's Terms and Conditions of Use of the Website, these service providers only use Information in connection with the services they perform for HIP Consult and not for their own benefit.
- Law enforcement, government officials, or other third parties when
- HIP Consult is compelled to do so by a subpoena, a court order or a similar legal procedure
- HIP Consult is required to do so to comply with the law
- HIP Consult believes in good faith that the disclosure of Information is necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss, to report suspected illegal activity, or to investigate violations of the HIP Consult's Terms and Conditions of Use of Website and/or HIP Consult Premium Content - Terms and Conditions;
- Other third parties with the User's consent.
HIP Consult will not sell or rent any of a User's Information to third parties in the normal course of doing business and only shares Information with third parties as described in this policy.
Accessing or changing Information
A User has the right to obtain a copy of all Information relating to him/her held by HIP Consult (for which HIP Consult may charge a small fee) and to have any inaccurate information rectified or erased. Users also to have the right to have personal data taken off a direct marketing or direct mailing list.
A User wishing to make such a request should follow the following procedure:
- Apply in writing to Customer Service, HIP Consult Inc., 4201 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20008.
- Users should endeavor to give as much detail as possible in their correspondence which will help to identify them (e.g. name, e-mail address) and locate all the information that HIP Consult may hold.
Contacting HIP Consult about data privacy questions